Community Health Advocates (CHA) can help guide individuals, families and small businesses through the health care system—with free information, advice, and advocacy on all types of health insurance. Learn More »
Find Help Near You!
There are 43 community agencies around New York to provide services in many locations and languages for New Yorkers and small businesses. Please click on the New York State map below to find an agency near you. You may also use the following fields to search for an agency that provides individual assistance.
Find Help Near You
- The Small Business Assistance Program grant awards have been announced (please see below).
- CHA 2012 Annual Report: Click here to see the recently published annual report detailing CHA's successes in the past year.
- Out-of-Network Billing: A major problem facing many of CHA’s clients is balancing billing as a result of care received from out-of-network providers. CHA has developed materials to assist individuals facing this problem. These materials provide instructions on figuring out how your health plan determines the amount it will pay for out-of-network care. The materials also include instructions on how to appeal the rate your plan paid for out-of-network care, and a template appeal letter. If you have any questions regarding these materials, please contact our Helpline at (888) 614-5400.
2013 Small Business Assistance Program RFP
We thank all the organizations who responded to the Small Business Assistance Program (SBAP) RFP. This program will continue to provide health insurance and access assistance to small businesses across New York State. We received 36 remarkable proposals, making for a tough evaluation process. We are pleased to announce that the following 14 organizations will join the SBAP network:
1. Actors Fund
2. Business Council of Westchester
4. Community Development Corporation of Long Island
5. Cornell University Cooperative Extension of Rensselaer County
6. Greater Olean Area Chamber of Commerce
7. Greater Watertown North Country Chamber of Commerce
8. Guilderland Chamber of Commerce
9. Manhattan Chamber of Commerce
10. Small Business Development Center at Binghamton University
11. Small Business Development Center at Jamestown Community College
12. Small Business Development Center at LaGuardia Community College
13. Small Business Development Center at the University at Albany
14. S2AY Rural Health Network
About This Grant
This project is generously supported by the New York State Health Foundation. The mission of the New York State Health Foundation (NYSHealth) is to expand health insurance coverage, increase access to high-quality health care services, and improve public and community health. Organizations funded through this RFP will provide education and assistance to small businesses on issues such as: the small business tax credits under the ACA; Healthy NY for small businesses; public coverage options; other small group options and commercial or job-based coverage options; how to understand and comment upon proposed insurance rate increases under New York’s new prior approval law; how brokers can help them find coverage and how to choose a broker; the pros and cons of HSAs and other small group products; and more. For more information about the Small Business Assistance Program and our current network, please click here.
Facts and Figures
CHA cases since November 2010 and counting
New Yorkers educated about their health care rights and health insurance options
Counties in which CHA has provided services
Languages in which CHA has provided services